For the first time in history, North Korea's never-before-seen Internet was made available for the rest of the world to see.
Whether it was a hack or a glitch in their system, remains to be known, but based on what was discovered, it seems that Kim Jong Un’s regime has allowed a total of 28 websites in total to be registered.
Someone in North Korea is in a lot of trouble.
The secretive state somehow accidentally opened access to all the websites hosted on its servers, revealing that it only has 28 registered domains.
On Monday at around 10 p.m. Pacific time, North Korea’s nameserver – that contains information about all of the “.kp” websites – was misconfigured, allowing it to be accessed. This meant Matthew Bryant, a researcher, was able to access the domain names and some of the file data about the site.
Bryant dumped all of this on Github – a site that hosts computer code. It’s the first real look into the secret online world of the hermit state North Korea.
North Korea is one of the most mysterious countries on the planet. We know nothing of it other than what is often spoken of by the media, which paints a picture of evil and incompetence.
The country is often portrayed as the most policed and censored in the world.
Interestingly, the Western media want us to believe this regime is a major nuclear threat but their internet seems like something from the stone age of web development.
Here’s a few creenshots of the sites, as posted by NorthKoreaTech.org. Most of the sites seem to display obvious propaganda that is easy to see through. Clearly the country has yet to catch up to the sophisticated methods of the West.
And here is what North Korea views as “national insurance”:
Reddit posted a list of all the websites and what they are in the event that the link no longer works anymore:
- http://airkoryo.com.kp – Air Koryo. A flight ticket website.
- http://cooks.org.kp – Korean Dishes. Culinary website with recipes.
- http://friend.com.kp – Friend. Appears to be something similar to Yahoo and MSN.
- http://gnu.rep.kp – National Unity. A sort of religious group or well-being group.
- http://kass.org.kp – Korean Association of Social Scientists. Not sure, but I think it’s an education website for both school and adult education courses… maybe.
- http://kcna.kp – Korean Central News Agency. Yet another news website.
- http://kiyctc.com.kp – Korean International Youth and Children’s Travel Company. I guess a travel company of both youth and children.
- http://knic.com.kp – Korean People Total Insurance Company. Insurance company.
- http://koredufund.org.kp – Korea Education Fund. Appears to be a charity to increase the quality of education.
- http://korelcfund.org.kp – Korea Elderly Care Fund. A charity for the elderly.
- http://korfilm.com.kp – KorFilms – Pyongang International Film Festival. The film website.
- http://ma.gov.kp – Maritime Administration of Korea. Laws of the water can be found here.
- http://masikryong.com.kp – currently can’t access
- http://naenara.com.kp – Naenara. – This is actually the “official” government site in the sense of a description of the country. It has plenty of news articles but it contains a decent amount of (tourist oriented?) information about the country (thanks /u/tinoh124 for the correction).
- http://nta.gov.kp – Korea Tourism. The Korean Tourism board, looks like you can get tours from here.
- http://portal.net.kp – currently can’t access
- http://rcc.net.kp – currently can’t access
- http://rep.kp – currently can’t access
- http://rodong.rep.kp – Rodong. Official news website. Click here to view the Rodong website in the user-friendly Western version, thanks again to /u/tinoh124 for this.
- http://ryongnamsan.edu.kp – Kim Il Sung University. – The university’s website.
- http://sdprk.org.kp – Sports Chosun. – The sports website.
- http://silibank.net.kp – currently can’t access
- http://star-co.net.kp – currently can’t access
- http://star-di.net.kp – currently can’t access
- http://star.co.kp – currently can’t access
- http://star.edu.kp – currently can’t access
- http://star.net.kp – currently can’t access
- http://vok.rep.kp – Voice Of Korea. A news website.
Are you tired of the same old propaganda from mainstream media outlets, and even many alternative media outlets? Are you more concerned with learning than being entertained? Check out our partners, A New Kind of Human, for a source of guidance, integrity, truth and empowerment.
You have permission to republish this article under a Creative Commons license with attribution to Choice and Truth